Played at Victoria Park. Report by Tim Castle
- Exciting game on a hot but breezy evening.
- Our first victory
in Division One.
- Opposition Stokey Scoundrels were a colts team
of five 14-year-olds and two adults, including long-time league
chairman Rizwan Siddiqui, now ex-Sky, and always a formidable
- Excellent first two overs from Rav Matharu removed the
youthful openers, backed up by tight deliveries from Azaz Khalil.
- Siddiqui steadied the Stokey ship, eventually retiring on 50 and
returning at end to reach unbeaten 77.
- Accurate bowling from
Sheraz Shahid removed three more wickets, the first caught by father
Sam and followed by two successive golden ducks for Finn and Imaad.
- Also bowling: Jonathan Stebbins and two debutants, David Fauls and
- Behind the stumps: Matt Wake.
batted out their overs with respectable total of 138 - less
respectable was our extras contribution of 43, including 23 wides.
- Needing around 9 an over, Rav and captain Sam Shahid set a
steady opening pace, taking 14 off the first two overs.
Stokey's Alfie was firing in accurate and well pitched fast
deliveries off a long run-up and found Rav's off stump in the third
- Alfie dismissed Fauls for a duck in the same manner in
his next over, and returned in the seventh over to repeat the trick
in his first delivery on Khalil, who had scored a quickfire 22 and
was looking well set for 50.
- Sheraz, coming in after the loss of Khalil, never looked troubled,
scoring off Alfie's dangerously accurate deliveries and contributed
a vital 24 becore being caught and bowled off a low return by
- Sam Shahid played a true captain's innings,
overcoming the pain of a sharp blow to his thumb from an early Alfie
delivery to reach his half century, retiring on 51.
Imaad, bowling looping spin, proved difficult to get away, and
conceded just 13 off his first two overs, at a stage when we needed
to accelerate to avoid an ignominious defeat.
- In a nervous
finale, with Siddiqui and keeper Younis loudly rallying their
teenage troops on every ball, Stebbins and Rahman ticked off the
- With the scores tied at the start of the final
over and the fielders all called in close in a ring around the
wicket, Rahman missed Siddiqui's first ball, but got the second away
for the winning run and three important league points.
Stokey Scoundrels won toss and chose to bat
Stokey Scoundrels 138-5
b Matharu 2
Jonas ct Fauls b Matharu
Rizwan Siddiqui* not out
Alfie ct Sam Shahid b Sheraz Shahid 11
not out 11
b Sheraz Shahid 0
b Sheraz Shahid 0
Extras w 23, nb 2, b 14, lb 3:
FOW: 6-1 (Jonas), 18-2 (Cameron), 66-3 (Alfie), 90-4
* Siddiqui retired on 50 and
returned at end
Sheraz Shahid 4-0-24-3
Muhajid Rahman 1-0-16-0
Old Fallopians 139-4
b Alfie 10
retired not out 51
b Alfie 0
b Alfie 22
ct & b Siddiqui 24
not out 20
Muhajid Rahman not
Extras w 4, nb 1, b 1, lb 1:
FOW: 20-1 (Matharu), 20-2 (Fauls), 54-3 (Khalil), 93-4
Back to top of page